Friday, May 8

Funny Quote Friday

Ok - so this is a two-fer. I had a request to share why LuLu is LuLu - so I will be I also had to share this quick quote by Kenzie.
For dinner the other night we had spaghetti. We were almost done, and just visiting around the table, except for Kenzie who was still going strong - eating spaghetti like only a two-year-old can. Kenzie sits right next to me, but I was listening the conversations and not paying a lot of attention to her - other than the mommy instinct that never quite tunes out a two-year-old. All of a sudden I start busting up laughing - which was completely inappropriate considering the topic of conversation - can't remember what we were talking about - but it wasn't funny. But I had heard a little voice next to me say in a little sing-songy-baby-voice "don't be afraid little noodle it will be ok." (so I turn to watch her) and then she proceeds to lovingly pick up the noodle, look at it with tenderness and stick one end in her mouth and slurp it up. And then grin like the Cheshire cat.

Ok - so most people know Lyndsey as LuLu - here is the story of how she got that name - and why it has stuck more than most nicknames.

It started in the hospital. A nurse came in to check on us and asked what the baby's name was. I told her "Lyndsey". When she went to pick her up, she says "come here, little miss Lyndsey-Lu..." (in my head the nurse was Irish - red hair, fair, and with an accent - but I'd just given birth a few hours before, it was late, like after midnight, so I could just be making that part up) but the Lyndsey-Lu stuck, because I remember my dad calling me Kristi-lu when I was younger. Eventually, Lyndsey Lu became Lyndsey LuLu - and has even been Lyndsey LuLu Magu. Lyndsey has a cousin who is 8 months older than her, and when he started talking, he had a hard time with Lyndsey, and just called her LuLu.
Not long after that - when Lyndsey was about 16-18 months old, she decided she liked LuLu better than Lyndsey. She would refuse to answer if you called her Lyndsey - even if it was Lyndsey LuLu. And we constantly heard "no Lyndsey, just LuLu" - it started almost every conversation people had with her. I could stand right next to her and say "Lyndsey, do you want this cookie?" and she would completely ignore me - even with me repeating it. After about the third time I repeated it, she would look at me and say "its LuLu not Lyndsey". She did this to everyone. She even once told grandma "it's not sweetie its LuLu!" At first I thought it was funny - after about a month I was a little frustrated. After several months, she had us all trained and everyone just called her LuLu. This continued for quite some time, to the point that she had turned 3 and I was getting ready to put her in preschool and I start wondering if all teachers are going to be understanding enough to call her "LuLu" in school even though that wasn't her real name.
Then one morning, I'm cleaning up after breakfast, and Lyndsey was playing in the playroom. She comes running into the kitchen, and says "mommy guess what?!!" I smile and say "what?" and she says "Your Lyndsey is back!" I did what any mother would do, laughed my head off! And then called dad and grandma to share. She then tried to retrain us all - and wouldn't answer to LuLu anymore - but she had trained us too well - and she was stuck with it. When she got really frustrated with grandma once for calling her LuLu instead of Lyndsey, I had to sit her down and explain that she had spend more than a year and a half not answering to Lyndsey - and that although we'd try to remember to call her Lyndsey, she was just going to be stuck with LuLu for the rest of her life. (at 3 1/2 she was a lot easier to reason with than when I had tried similar logic on her at 1 1/2) She said "I guess that is ok - I still like LuLu, I just thought you'd want your Lyndsey back". I tried not to laugh at that one because she was so serious about it. She probably still gets called LuLu more often than Lyndsey. The other funny thing is we don't run into a lot of Lyndsey's (and never any spelled the same as hers) but a lot of the ones we do run into have the nickname LuLu too. But it is usually just a family nickname - not something everyone knows them by like our LuLu. It also at one point was spelled Lou-Lou, but when she was old enough to learn how to spell, she wanted to know why there were "o"s in it - since I didn't have a good reason, and she liked spelling it LuLu, I let her change it.


Lyndsey LuLu - Jan 2004 (almost 5 years-old) Don't have any digital pics of her younger because we didn't go digital until late 2003 - and my scanner is broke. Looking at this picture though, I'm realizing that Lyndsey looks a lot like me...


Kristi age 4.

2 comments:

Mrs.Goates said...

I remember getting yelled at by LuLu for calling her Lyndsey - good times!

Unknown said...

OK MacKenzie is just hilarious!!

And gotta love LuLu, She has often been entertainment for me (or us), anyway I can think of many funny, entertaining things that girl has done in her lifetime!!