Tuesday, May 15

Book Club notes

* book club - The book I didn't like was "Wild Swans" I'm actually not finished with it yet -but it is pretty long and really in depth - it is about 3 generations of women (one of them being the author) in china - and it talks about all the communists stuff and tortures and stuff. Pretty depressing. I told Kevin it is kind of like watching a train wreck. I'm a little interested in the outcome of all the people but really get tired of all the horrible things that people do to each other. The book group split it into two months because there was so much happening.
I'm hosting the book club in July - the book is called "Princess Academy" really good (I'm the one that suggested it to the group.
I just read another book I may suggested in a few months (if your book is chosen - you have to hold the book club at your house) It is called "A Mango Shaped Space" It is about a girl who has synesthesia - a condition where senses are linked - in the case of the girl in the book - her sense of visual and hearing - so all sounds have colors to her. She even sees each letter as a specific color. In some cases of this the letters have personalities - happy, sad, flirty, mean, etc. Sound familiar? For those who don't remember - When Tyler first learned his letters, he was always saying that the letters are happy, sad, scared, etc. Anyway - the book is very interesting and a relatively easy read - it is geared at middle school grade level.

1 comment:

Mrs.Goates said...

I went to check out Princess Academy and they are all out at our library... Can't wait to read it though.

I had the RS pres over the other day and I talked with her about the whole only Deseret Books thing, and she said that she is going to talk to Bishop. Hopefully, we'll be on to some good books soon.