Wednesday, September 29

just in case you are wondering....

we are still here. And life is crazier than ever. September has been a very long month.
  • The kids all started school.
  • Kevin was really sick at the Labor Day weekend. We were finally going to do something just the 2 of us for our anniversary, but we spend 2 hours at urgent care. 
  • Kenzie had an eye check up - she has been doing some patching to help strengthen one of her eyes - it is working - but she still has to see the doctor every couple of months to make sure it is)
  • Kenzie started preschool and Kindermusik. She loves both.
  • My tile got finished for my bathroom :o)
  • I've missed two doctors appointments for Tyler.  
  • I went to Orcas Islnad for Girl's weekend (so fun!!).
  • almost all the kids have had a cold.
  • I've spend hours on the phone trying to get Kaylee in to see a doctor about the pain in her leg that gets worse when she runs,
  • took her to that appointment, was told "I think it might be shin splits, but go see the orthopedist. Ice 3 times a day, here is a note for PE - you can run until it hurts" (pretty much completely wrong)
  • 5 Parent/Curriculum nights at 4 different schools (the elementary splits their curriculum nights between primary and intermediate grades) - 2 Thursdays in a row with two of them starting at the same time in different schools.
  • 4 sets of soccer practices, at 4 different fields - and of course starting or ending at the same time. (Kaylee hasn't been practicing with her hurt leg - but of course that is the team that Kevin is helping with so he has had to go to some of the practice even if she isn't)
  • Saturdays are taken up with 5 soccer games - although so far it has basically been 2 starts with 4 of the games distributed between them at 4 different fields, with Kaylee's usually starting in the afternoon (she hasn't been playing, but has been going to cheer her team on)
  • We have been trying to get Morgan driving time (she needs 50 hours of practice time before she can get her license in November)
  • The normal YW, Faith in God for Girl's and Cub activities every Thursday (have I mentioned that I'm the Bear Den leader? and Kevin is the committee chair?)
  • Kaylee had a birthday - she is officially 14. She hasn't had a party or gotten any presents yet - but I have been working on both :o). But we did take her out to dinner at Spiro's and for dessert at Baskin Robbins.
  • Soccer picture day - 5 sets of team pictures squeezed in between the soccer games this past weekend.
  • This weekend, at one of the aforementioned soccer games, Morgan was playing in a particularly brutal game. The other team was really aggressive, not in a good way. (They ended up with 3 yellow cards - and those were the ones the ref actually called). Morgan was going for the ball and got knocked to the ground. Hard. She hit her head, and was out for the rest of the game.
  • We spent 5 hours in the ER that night when Morgan's head was still hurting, she was irritable, weepy, and kind of "out of it". While waiting, her neck also started hurting, so they put her in a cervical collar, and sent her for a head and neck CT. We left with directions to follow up with her normal doctor, and muscle relaxers. They said she was having neck spasms from hitting the ground, and that her headache was probably a result of that. And that she shouldn't return to sports until she saw her doctor(another not so accurate doctor's opinion).
  • On Monday, Morgan and I spend another hour and a half at the doctor's office. She has a concussion (the real cause of her headache). She did tit the ground hard enough that her back and neck has been sore. She cannot return to soccer until cleared by the doctor (so we go back next week), and even then it will be a gradual return (meaning conditioning and drills but no scrimmages or games or activity that could result in her hitting her head again).
  • Kenzie had a well-child check - she is 45 inches and 45 pounds - she is a square :o).Overall she is doing well. We were told that she has the same Femoral Anteversion as Lyndsey, although at this point they are still telling us "most kids out grow it" (Lyndsey still hasn't).
  • Kaylee finally got into see the orthopedic specialist. He is pretty sure she has a stress fracture. Since we were thinking it stemmed from a rather intense game of Capture the Flag at a church activity in July (the pain is in the same spot we had x-rayed then), he sent her for an x-ray. The hope was to see the bone healing, as you can't actually see a stress fracture on an x-ray. They couldn't see anything, so she gets to go for a bone scan next week. She was told absolutely no running, so she is out for the rest of the rec soccer season, will miss tryouts for the school soccer team, will  probably not be able to play rec basketball since she will miss the first several weeks, and will hopefully be back to "normal" just in time for school basketball tryouts. On the up side, since she will be mostly limited to upper body weight lifting in PE, she should be able to really built her upper body strength - which should ultimately help her basketball game. Oh, and the specialist also said that he had a stress fracture in almost the same exact spot, and the only thing that helped with pain was heat. So no more icing.
  • I finally made it to Tyler's doctor appointment today, and he has been put on an inhaler and allergy meds for exercise induced asthma and allergies (the same things that Lyndsey is on).
  • Kaylee has also had guitar lessons, and a guitar performance.
I'm sure I've missed a few things....
Here's hoping October is a little calmer. But I'm not holding my breath, since I know I already have Morgan's doctor appointment, and the trip to Tacoma for Kaylee's bone scan which is apparently a 4-5 hour process.
*ok - I was going to try and include a couple of pictures, but they have apparently changed the blogger photo uploader (????) and it doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm too tired to figure it out*

4 comments:

Mrs.Goates said...

Kristi, this cracks me up because I just read one of my friends posts who has 3 kids under 4 and she was saying that she doesn't believe it when people say, "life gets more hectic when they're older"... I'll have to direct her to your blog. I was exhausted just reading this. Hope Mo and Kaylee get better soon!

Wendy Jean said...

Man - that is a little scary about Morgan with the concussion. I bet Kaylee is disappointed about the games she won't be playing in. Maybe it will be a good thing, though, with one less practice and activity to run to. ??

Ali said...

Darn those aggressive teams. If only that girl could know that she ruined your daughter's season! I'd want to rub it in her face. That is a LOT of doctor appointments...I hope things slow down for you guys soon!

Jan W. said...

Phew!!! I'm tired and need to go back to bed!