Monday, March 9

Princess Lea Mackenzie

So Mackenzie's hair continues to be amazing, crazy and totally unbelievable curly (for one of my kids - besides Tyler, I don't think any of them had this much hair at 2 1/2 - it definitely wasn't this long. And although I love it, it is high maintenance.

It can easily take me 20 minutes to "comb" through it - which involves a spray bottle (unless she just got out of the bath), detangler (I use "Just for Me" which I'm pretty sure is for ethnic hair - but it is by far the best I've found for her hair - smells good too.), a couple of different combs/picks, and scissors - her curls collect lint in the ends and get into these unbelievable knots that I end up having to cut out. Oh and usually Dora or Elmo or Mickey Mouse (to keep her sitting still). When I'm finished getting all of the tangles out, I usually apply generous amounts of a Silk Therapy product like BioSilk - although I recently found one at Walmart for about $10 as opposed to the $20+ for the same size bottle of BioSilk - I was mad when Costco stopped selling their combo pack - when you got 2 bottles for about the same price as one. Silk therapy helps her curls not collect quite as much lint and tangles.
Needless to say, I don't always have 20+ minutes to do Mackenzie's hair every day. I found this product which is a good "cheat" - it is Frizz-Ease Curl Perfecting Spray - and it basically just tames her curls. I have also just spritzed with water to calm them a little - or just fluff them so that they are uniform frizz all over her head (usually one side is flatter than the other - probably where she slept) These are both performed with me running after her spraying away while she tries to hide. I'm sure I look completely riduculous. But I usually pay for these "cheats" as the next time I comb her hair take even longer to get the tangles out. And although she loves baths - she hates to get her hair done in there too - I only ever condition it - I don't think it has ever had shampoo - curly hair is drier than "normal" hair (learned that from Lyndsey who also doesn't use shampoo - and her hair still sucks up about a 1/4-1/2 cup of conditioner at a time and still looks dry and frizzy). But when Kenzie is in the tub, I comb the conditioner through her hair - cutting out the worst of the knots. That is if I'm the one giving her the bath - Kenzie likes "Bob" or Dad to give her baths - since they just put conditioner in and rinse it out.
So last weekend, we were getting ready to leave the house and I noticed that Kenzie's hair was a complete mess - and remembered I had used a "cheat" the day before. Not much hope for a quick do - but then I remembered I had picked up some yellow "cutes" and I decided to try and convince her to let me put her hair in pigtails (she hates to have anything in her hair). Well I got her to let me put them in because they were yellow - her favorite color. She was convinced to keep them in when someone said they looked like Princess Lea buns (Kenzie also loves Star Wars -but only when Tyler is watching it...) So she became Princess Lea Makenzie. The funny thing was that she had this one curl that stuck straight out from the front of her head - like a unicorn.

*This is a picture that Andrea took with my dad's camera - if you follow her blog - you probably saw this picture - since I "pirated" it off of there - I haven't gotten them from my parents yet.
She hasn't let me put "cutes" in again so it is back to my old "cheats". I still LOVE her curls. Incidentally - I think the curl sticking straight up in the picture is my favorite curl - it usually looks so cute a tiny right in the middle of her head - but it is so long - pulled straight it reaches her mouth.

No comments: